Sunday, October 17, 2010

Better than Your Baby Can Read

I haven't blogged in a while, partly because of now having to share the computer with Amidala. While at the public library, a fellow mother of two friend of mine suggested I check out starfall.com. It's a free, phonics based, learn-to-read program. Lots of animation and singing so Ami was hooked immediately.

An adult computer mouse was difficult and confusing for her so I had to search for a kid's mouse. At first, I thought I could just go down to my local department store and pick one up. I mean, a small mouse with just one button for toddlers, that is an everyday item, right? Not in this po' dunk town. I had to order it over the Internet (those little buggers are over $20!) from WallyWorld. I used their site-to-store service to avoid shipping charges but still had to drive to Vancouver to pick it up.

But, OMG!, it was so worth it! She is learning so much, so fast. The website also has lots of free printables with activities and homemade flashcards are a cinch. She could already name all of the letters before we discovered the site, but now is really grasping capital and lowercase and their sounds. Of course, I love how much Ami's learning, but the gobs of time it frees up for me is awesome, too! I highly recommend the website and toddler mouse for any momma who is looking to teach her child to read. Especially, those with another one one the way.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

um do we know someone with another one on the way?

Sabrina said...

um, not me, brit. That was directed to my good, very expectant chum, Lynell.